• Sustainable Norwegian Salmon are ocean-farmed under standards that meet/exceed government safety regulations
Handling and Storage
• Whole Salmon - pack in fresh ice daily in drain pan or shipping coffin, belly down
• Portioned IQF salmon - pack in ice until use (1-2 days after thaw)
Whole fish offer more opportunities to create a variety of cuts and flavorful dishes with consistent lean quality and bright color with minimal waste.
Safe to Consume Raw
According to US Food Code section 3-402.11 paragraph B, farm-raised Norwegian Salmon served raw is exempt from the freezing requirement for fish because it is an aquacultured fish, raised in net-pens in open water and fed formulated feed.
• In refrigerator or a cold water bath in refrigerator over night
• Defrosted product should be used within 24 hours
How to Tell if Norwegian Salmon if Fresh:
• Bright orange color and beautiful white lines
• Smell should be sweet and ocean-like – never fishy
What Does “Color Added” Mean?
• Norwegian Salmon gain pink hue from Astaxanthin— the same natural carotenoid that gives wild salmon its color—as a supplement in their food
Good source of:
• Vitamins A, D, B12
• Adults: 8 oz. per week
• Women who are breastfeeding: 8-12 oz. of low mercury seafood (such as salmon)
Taste and Texture:
• Slow growth in cold, clear waters of Norway develops lean texture and delicate flavor
• Rich mouth feel and sweet taste
• Cold or hot smoked